Thursday, July 26, 2012

dear chick-fil-a

Dear Chick-fil-A,

I noticed that you seem to be under heavy fire and criticism on the internet and I wanted to extend my deepest sympathies to you. It would seem that you have been labeled a "bigot" because of "documented support of anti-gay groups". As a result, you have lost the friendship of the Jim Henson Company and no doubt much business from the "more open minded" that will no longer patronize such a closed-minded business.

I thought you might like to know that there are some people on your side, and I thought maybe someone out there might like to know why I'm on your side. I feel I have good reasons, neither of which is that I am opposed to gay marriage. (I am against gay marriage, that just doesn't factor into my arguments).

1. The Jim Henson Company will no longer allow you to include Muppet toys in your kid's meals because you are a "bigot". A bigot is "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differeing creed belief, or opinion", according to dictionary.com. So, as far as I can tell, The Jim Henson Company is the one acting like a bigot. If you had refused to sell their toys because they are pro-gay marriage, then you 'd have been a bigot. But, seeing as how you accepted the fact that not everyone sees the world the way you do and still got along with them just fine shows that you are the bigger person (or in this case, corporation). Obviously, I disagree with the Jim Henson Company's views. But I'm not going to run out and burn my Muppets from Space DVD. I love that movie!

2. One of the most nonsensical criticisms I have found against you is the following image.


Obviously the creator intended to show how ridiculous you are for having a different opinion from all the other restaurant owners. I have two objections. Firstly, what in the world does your political stance on gay marriage have to do with fried chicken? It's not like every Chick-fil-A meal comes with anti-gay marriage propaganda, and I'm quite sure your restaurant doesn't ask you about your opinion before serving you food. Secondly, who bothers to dig up a restaurant owners opinions about stuff before consenting to eat there? I surely don't. And even for those who do, if you refuse to do business with anyone who doesn't agree with everything you think or believe, that makes YOU the bigot.

And so Chick-fil-A, I wish you the best. I pray there are enough open minded people out there to believe that a difference of opinion or belief doesn't mean we have to cut all ties or go on the offensive.

Love, Ashlee

0 comments:

Post a Comment